About the Firm
The Firm is a prestigious law firm which specialises in all areas of corporate and commercial law. Our focus, our expertise and our culture mean that we deliver unmatched client service.
We believe in making life easier for our clients. That means being clear and simple in all our communication, avoiding jargon, and getting straight to the point. We take pride in being experts in corporate and commercial law and in being good people to work with.
Our experienced team is dedicated to achieving exceptional execution. That is why our clients trust us implicitly with some of the largest and most complex transactions in the market.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious HR Advisor to join a top ranked independent Scottish corporate and commercial law Firm on a permanent basis to support the development of our HR function and people plan. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to take ownership of a range of varied tasks and projects and to develop their HR skills and experience, including targeted support for ongoing professional development.
Either a full time or part time (minimum 4 days per week) working pattern would be considered.
Working as part of a small Business Support team, you will have responsibility for a range of tasks and HR processes. Managing the HR inbox, you will act as a first point of contact for employees and managers so will have high interaction with team members of all levels across our offices. You will be passionate about people and will pay a key role in supporting our continually growing teams!
The role will be based in Edinburgh, working with both our Edinburgh and London offices with the opportunity to travel from time to time. Hybrid working (with regular onsite time in office as required) is optional.
- Creating reports on key areas such as payroll, pension and other benefits, as well as computing and maintaining employee records including holiday and sickness leaves
- Monitoring changes in employment law and taxation to identify and help plan for upcoming changes including reviewing HR policies regularly, ensuring they are up to date and accurate
- Managing the HR inbox, providing information and guidance to managers and employees regarding policies and procedures, escalating when appropriate
- Undertaking all duties associated with changes to staff T&Cs of employment and procedures such as probationary reviews, maternity/paternity, flexible working, and leavers
- Providing accurate payroll information to Finance to ensure that all staff receive accurate pay each month and preparing the monthly benefit orders including management of suppliers of insurance, pension and other benefits
- Adhering to HMRC PAYE related reporting and payment deadlines
- Administering the firm’s salary sacrifice schemes, including pension arrangements, cycle-to-work and childcare vouchers
- Providing support with recruitment, in particular the recruitment of trainee solicitors and management of the qualification process, as well as managing the onboarding process
- Consult with recruitment agencies, including negotiation of terms of business, holding agency briefings and co-ordinating applications
- Manage the selection process, including reviewing and shortlisting CVs, conducting screening calls, organising interviews and providing feedback
- Supporting the business in relation to performance appraisal, development plans, performance management and disciplinary matters
- Preparing and monitoring gender pay and other diversity related statistics
- Supporting HR-related training activities
Skills and Experience
- Ideally, you will be CIPD Level 5 qualified or equivalent and interested to continue your ongoing professional development
- Be able to use spreadsheets, databases and word processing packages, as well as previous experience of using HR software to effectively extract data and produce management information and reports
- Be patient, tactful, diplomatic and approachable
- Be able to stay calm and supportive in potentially difficult or stressful situations
- Have excellent spoken and written communication skills, approachable and at ease communicating across teams and with all levels of seniority within the organisation
- Customer service focussed and responsive
- Be confident about gathering facts and statistics
- Respect the importance of confidentiality, as dealing with employees’ personal details
- Good organisational and problem-solving skills
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Be able to work accurately, with good attention to detail
- Proactive and solution focused in nature, problem solving and consistently looking to improve ways of working , systems and processes
- Takes ownership of responsibilities and deadlines
- Proficiency in Cintra HR system would be advantageous, but not a pre-requisite
This is a fast-paced role in a prestigious firm and the above list of tasks and responsibilities is not exhaustive. You will have the opportunity to be involved in a broader range of activities than those described above, and to develop your HR skills as the role develops – this role offers an ambitious individual fantastic scope to learn and progress.
Benefits of working for us
At our Firm hard work is well rewarded. In addition to a competitive remuneration strategy within the market, we also believe in looking after our employees by offering a highly competitive benefits package.
- Salary: £30-£35,000 per annum
- Bonus: Participation in the firm-wide discretionary bonus scheme
- Pension: Participation in the firm’s personal pension scheme – the firm contributes 5% of salary (and contribution rates increase with length of service)
- Insurances: Life Assurance and Group earnings replacement, as well as opportunity to join the Private Medical Insurance scheme
- Holidays: 23 working days plus 8 statutory holidays (plus additional entitlement to days increased with length of service)
- Flexible working: Our firm values work-life balance and flexibility – hybrid working (with regular onsite time in office as required) is optional for this role.
- Training and Development: Optional tailored support with career related qualifications and training, support with professional subscription costs
- Parental: Enhanced pay during maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Other benefits: Cycle to Work scheme, season ticket loan
How to apply
Do you feel you have the right experience and are excited to make a contribution to this team? Please send a detailed covering letter, current CV and note of your availability to email@example.com. Please tell us why you would like this role, how your experiences matches the requirements and what added value you could bring to our team.
We recognise the value of a diverse team and we are committed to and encourage applications from people with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Reasonable adjustments where required are available to support candidates through the application and interview process.
Please note all offers of employment are subject to continuous eligibility to work in the UK and satisfactory pre-employment screening checks.